Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Dublin Weekend Trip Preview


It seems like since I publicly promised to upload pictures of Edinburgh--I actually did it. Since I’m leaving tomorrow morning at 4:05 AM in a coach to London Stansted to board a plane to Dublin and land in Ireland at 11:15 AM, I thought I’d take a second to tell you what the general game-plan is for the weekend. As it worked out, I found myself becoming the “planner” of this trip--from finding a room to making a “tentative itinerary” and detailed budget of the expenses that we’ll incur going to various museums, eating, and taking the bus around the city. 

Last week was “reading week”--a week without classes in the middle of the term that allows students to catch up on reading and finish off their research. When I took the train up to Edinburgh on Thursday morning, I didn’t miss any classes. This week, though, I’m missing all my classes, because they’re only on Thursday and Friday. I groaned about it for a while and finally bought my tickets--it’s probably hard to understand for people who aren’t in school or don’t enjoy it, but making a conscious effort to skip an entire week’s classes was stressful to me. I’m fine with it now, because, well, the rational argument wins out--I’m in the UK for three months, I don’t know if I’ll ever have enough money to come back to Europe, and so I think I can miss a week of class to see a city in a country I’ve wanted to visit since I was pretty young. 

This isn’t an EAP trip; this is just us friends going to tour around a city with each other. We won’t have phone service but we’ll have internet at our b&b, so I’ll be checking in on facebook and probably instagram nightly. Expect a new batch of pictures, and also wish me well--I picked up what look like the beginnings of a cold yesterday, and have been emptying my travel-packets of tissues because I’ve been lucky enough not to need to buy a box of them since I’ve been here. 

We'll be visiting, amongst other places: The Guinness Storehouse, Dublin Castle, The Writers Museum, Joyce Museum, Trinity College Book of Kells Exhibition, and Temple Bar.

Until next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment